The various characteristics of the FAS may be summarized as follows:
- Prenatal onset and persistence of growth retardation postnatally;
- Facial anomalies such as short palpebral fissures, ptosis, microphthalmia, epicanthal folds, maxillary hypoplasia, micrognathia, and thin upper lip;
- Congenital heart disease (usually a septal defect);
- Minor joint and limb abnormalities, including abnormal palmar creases and restriction movements; and
- Borderline to severe mental deficiency and delayed development.
Prognosis is poor.
Prevention lies in religiously eliminating alcohol consumption after the conception.